Asset ManagerNeil Krawitz
- Sector transport
- Vehicle AEIF1
- Investment Year 2008
- Status Invested
- Country Luxembourg
- Ownership 51.1% 1
- GRESB 2018 2nd out of 40 European transport assets
- Employees c.110
- Locomotives 368
- Passenger Trains 435
Alpha provides critical infrastructure for daily passenger commuting and hauling of freight cargo
As part of its ongoing growth plans, Alpha recently signed contracts to procure and finance 13 new passenger trains manufactured by Stadler. These trains, on 12-15 year operating leases, have already been committed to two German passenger transport concessions commencing between December 2017 and December 2018
Alpha has significant investment in low carbon “green” transportation. Over 75% of Alpha’s fleet is electric, positioning Alpha as a responsible investor in low carbon mass transportation assets
- Ongoing liberalisation of the European rail market provides significant opportunities for growth.
- Green agenda, investment in new freight corridors and electrified lines encouraging more travel and goods transportation via rail and providing support to private sector rolling stock.
- Commercially and technically complex industry with meaningful barriers to entry related to multi-country safety, engineering and signalling requirements.
- Alpha is based in Luxembourg and has operational bases in Antwerp, Cologne, Madrid and Paris.
- Alpha benefits from efficiencies as a market leader with scale to manage and grow its assets effectively, in a complex market characterised by strong entry barriers.
- Long term leasing contracts.
- Alpha has a young fleet with an average age of six years. The vehicles typically have long lifespans of over 25-30 years.
- Since acquisition, Arcus has worked closely with Alpha management to more than triple the size of the company’s fleet and EBITDA.
1 The combined holding managed by Arcus, including AEIF1’s holding and the Arcus-managed co-investment holding.