Asset ManagerNeil Krawitz
- Sector transport
- Vehicle Managed Account
- Investment Year 2008
- Status Invested
- Country Luxembourg
- GRESB 2019 1st out of 6 Rolling Stock Assets
- Employees c.120
- % managed 51.1% 1
- Locomotives 385
- Passenger Trains 470
Alpha provides critical infrastructure for daily passenger commuting and hauling of freight cargo
As part of its ongoing growth plans Alpha has ordered a significant amount of new passenger trains and locomotives, which are under construction for forward starting long-term leases.
Alpha has significant investment in low carbon “green” transportation. Over 80% of Alpha’s fleet is electric, positioning Alpha as a responsible investor in low carbon mass transportation assets
- Ongoing liberalisation of the European rail market provides significant opportunities for growth.
- Green agenda, investment in new freight corridors and electrified lines encouraging more travel and goods transportation via rail and providing support to private sector rolling stock.
- Commercially and technically complex industry with meaningful barriers to entry related to multi-country safety, engineering and signalling requirements.
- Alpha is based in Luxembourg and has operational bases in Antwerp, Cologne, Madrid and Paris.
- Alpha benefits from efficiencies as a market leader with scale to manage and grow its assets effectively, in a complex market characterised by strong entry barriers.
- Long term leasing contracts.
- Alpha has a young fleet with an average age of seven years. The vehicles typically have long lifespans of up to 40 years.
- Since acquisition, Arcus has worked closely with Alpha management to more than triple the size of the company’s fleet and EBITDA.
1 The combined holding managed by Arcus, which comprises two Arcus-managed accounts.